Applications for the 2019 "Teys Australia" Rugby Union program open on Monday March 4, 2019 and close on Friday May 3, 2019.
Applications are open for Coach Nominations, Download form at our website.
Who is Eligible
Male athletes who turn 13 (born 2006) in 2019, reside in Northern Inland region and be a member of an affiliated club or association or be prepared to join.
Up to 23 male players may be offered a place in the Rugby Program based on performances selection trials. A selection panel will assess each application based performances and attitude and commitment to Rugby
Scholarship offered is for the period, April 2019 to October 2019
Please refer to the events on NIAS website
The program will offer each athlete the opportunity to further develop and improve skills required to gain selection in regional, state and national teams.
Athletes will be assessed on the following criteria at selections trials or via Talent Identification processes.
- T- Technique
- I- Intelligence (Touch).
- P- Physical Attributes
- S- Skill
- Endurance- 20m shuttle run
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
The program includes skill development, team development, testing, games.
Program will consist of:
- Induction/Education sessions
- Four regional training days
- September tour of New Zealand
- October Annual Academy Awards evening
Athletes are to access information from the NIAS GROWTH DAY. This program covers education sessions on
Opportunities beyond Sport
TV, Radio and Print Media
Health and Wellbeing
Intensive training support by quality regional, guest and state level coaches.
- NIAS GROWTH Day
- Regional training sessions.
- Sport Science fitness testing and support.
- 1 Ticket to annual awards night.
- Travel Assistance to attend NIAS regional training sessions and camps.
- Financial assistance if selected into state team.
- Fully Paid Athlete Levy scholarships due to financial hardship available.
- Attend all program activities.
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development, both on and off the field.
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism.
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship.
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors.
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events.
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes.
- Adhere to NIAS anti-Doping policy.
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required.
Athlete levy: $190 GST inclusive. This levy covers training camps, coaching support, GROWTH day, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket
Sports Trip: New Zealand TBC ($2500 approx) - fundraising opportunities available
Rugby Clothing Pack: $250 GST inclusive (ordered from and paid to SportsPower Armidale, includes NIAS polo shirt, cap, training shirt, training shorts, tracksuit pants, hoodie and ankle socks). Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased from SportsPower Armidale.
Open Date: 25 March 2019
Close Date: 31 May 2019
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org