WEST'S HOCKEY PROGRAM
Samuel Behrend- Armidale
Lachlan Butler- Tamworth
Cameron Carr- Tamworth
Ryan Constable- Tamworth
Angus Doyle- Bective
Sebastian Etheridge- Barraba
Nicholas Farmer- Tamworth
James Highlands- Tamworth
Brock Lambert- Moore Creek
Luke Maher- Tamworth
Hamish McAdam- Tamworth
Stuart McAdam- Tamworth
George Nash- Tamworth
Harry Reynolds- Tamworth
Toby Smith- Duri
Liam Smith- Armidale
Mitchell Stewart- Delungra
Alex Taggart- Tamworth
Kieran Wicks- Armidale
Aiden Wicks- Armdiale
Dane Wilson- Tamworth
Jessica Clarke- Niangala
Flo Davidson- Tamworth
Chelsea Eichorn- Armidale
Lucy Frame- Tamworth
Annabelle Green- Walcha
Tarnie Hillard- Armidale
Ashleigh Horniman- Tamworth
Hayley Lennon- Armidale
Lily Neilson- Armidale
Melissa Sherwood- Tamworth
Erin Startin- Garoo
2018 Program Staff:
Boys Head Coach - Greg Doolan
Assistant Coach - Josh Worpel
Girls Head Coach - Helen Willis
Assistant Coach - Katrina Rekunow
Program Manager - open
Who is Eligible
Male and Female athletes aged between 16-18 in 2018 (born in 2000 - 2002) live in the Northern Inland region, be a member of a Hockey NSW affiliated association (or be prepared to join).
Up to 14 Male and 14 Female athletes will be offered a place in the Hockey Program based on performance at selection trials and or via talent identification processes. Selection will also be based on your attitude and commitment to Hockey. Trials will take place on Saturday 21st October in Tamworth, girls from 10am to 12noon and boys from 1pm to 3pm.
Scholarship offered is for a 12 month period, November to November with skill based technical and tactical program during Hockey off-season, November 2017 to April 2018 GROWTH workshop in July 2018. Refer to events on webpage to confirm training sessions. There will be a minimum of 60 hours of training on the turf.
Please find below the confirmed dates for the 2018 NIAS Hockey Program. Please note training sessions will run from 9am to 1.30pm each time. Please note all training sessions are compulsory, exceptions are made for illness, injury, school excursions and competing at a Representative Hockey Event. An email must be sent to your head coach with a copy to the NIAS Office prior. Failure to attend may see you lose your position in the 2018 NIAS Hockey program
Trials Saturday 21st October
Girls trial from 10am to 12noon
Boys trial from 1pm to 3pm
Announce Squad 24th October – Maximum of 14 (including 2 goal keepers) per squad.
T1: Sunday 5th November – Armidale
NIAS Coaches Development Weekend Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th November – Wayne Goldsmith – Tamworth
T2: Sunday 19th November – Tamworth
T3: Sunday 3rd December – Armidale
T4: Sunday 17th December – Tamworth
T5: Sunday 21st January - Tamworth
Saturday 3rd/4th February – Inter Academy Weekend – in Newcastle
NIAS GROWTH DAY – Sunday 11th February - Armidale – Armidale City Bowling Club
T6: Sunday 18th February - Tamworth
T7: Sunday 4th March Tamworth
ClubsNSW Academy Games Friday 27th to Sunday 29th April
NIAS Awards Night to be confirmed.
Satellite training sessions to be run weekly in Armidale and Tamworth – times to be confirmed.
Off season skill program is designed to provide players with increased skills and fitness to better prepare them for selection into NSW squads and school representative squads
The following specific skills and tests can be conducted as part of the selection process at trials.
- 1st Touch quality
- Off ball awareness
- Off Ball movement
- Awareness of role out-letting
- Awareness of role pressing
- Endurance- 20m shuttle run or similar test
- Decision making with the ball
- Passion to succeed
- Receiving front
- Receiving reverse
- Receiving going forward
- Receiving- turning with strength
- Receiving under pressure
- Elimination 1V1
- Elimination 2V1
- Defensive Skills.
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
Skill sessions and camps are held within the region throughout November to April. The skills program follows a structured approach concentrating on a range of individual skills early in the program which lead into team skills involving concept skills and game strategies. Guest coaches ensure that the program remains fresh and interesting and athletes are presented with new ideas and different perspectives to encourage their learning. Fitness sessions focus on the importance of building core strength to improve posture, balance and technique - both speed and an introduction to weights sessions are conducted. In May-June players are required to attend the NIAS RACE program. This program covers education sessions on sport psychology, sports medicine, nutrition, public speaking, media training, sun protection and career skills. The squad competes in the Annual Clubs NSW Academy Games each April.
The program consists of approximately 10 regional training sessions held in either Armidale and Tamworth. One session may include an inter Academy visit. Dates for 2018 program are to be confirmed please refer to events on webpage to confirm training sessions.
- Intensive training support by quality regional, guest and state level coaches.
- GROWTH Day
- NIAS merchandise- training shirt, polo, shorts, cap and socks to be purchased by new athletes, returning athletes may purchase individual items as required. Additional items available for purchase.
- Individual home training program and structured satellite training sessions
- Sport Science fitness testing and support.
- 1 Ticket to annual awards night.
- Travel Assistance to attend NIAS regional training sessions and camps.
- Financial assistance if selected into state team.
- Fully Paid Athlete Levy scholarships due to financial hardship available.
- Attend all program activities.
- Hockey is no 1 sport while on scholarship.
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development, both on and off the field.
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism.
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship.
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors.
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events.
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes.
- Adhere to NIAS anti-Doping policy.
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required.
Athlete levy: $180 GST inclusive. This levy covers training camps, coaching support, GROWTH day, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket)
Sports Trip: $180 GST inclusive
Academy Games $250.00 GST inclusive
Hockey Clothing Pack: $250 GST inclusive (ordered from and paid to SportsPower Armidale, includes NIAS polo shirt, cap, training shirt, training shorts, tracksuit pants, hoodie and ankle socks). Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased from SportsPower Armidale.
Athlete levy grants are available for financially disadvantaged athletes.
Open Date: 28 August 2017
Close Date: 30 April 2018
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications currently closed