"Tamworth Golf Club" Golf Program
Head Coach, Darren Burger, PGA
Mentor Coach, Brock Sampson, PGA
Trainee Coach, Andrew Brennan
Applications for the 2020 program open on Tuesday, 6th August 2019 and close on Friday 25th October 2019
Who is Eligible?
Male and female athletes need to be turning 13-18 years in 2020, reside in Northern Inland region and be a member of an affiliated club or association (or be prepared to join).
Athletes must have a golf handicap of 25 or under to gain selection. If your handicap is slight great, please contact NIAS. Up to 10 athletes (male and female) will be offered a place in the Golf Program based on Handicap. Selection will not only be based on handicap but also based on your attitude and commitment to Golf.
Scholarship period is November 2019 to April 2020. The program will consist of six regional weekend sessions. Athletes will be invited to attend an inter academy golf camp in Scone on 1st December. All athletes will participate at the Clubs NSW Academy Games in Newcastle in April.
Regional training weekends will involve training Saturday morning followed by afternoon comp and training session Sunday morning. JNJG will attend a regional training session throughout your program.
Refer to events on webpage to confirm training sessions.
Session 1 - Tamworth - TBC
Session 2 - Tamworth - TBC
Life Skills Education Day - TBC
Session 3 - Tamworth - TBC
Session 4 - Tamworth - TBC
Session 5 - Tamworth - TBC
Session 6 - Tamworth - TBC
Inter-Academy training day in Scone - 1st December (run by JNJG)
Intensive training weekend in Newcastle delivered by JNJG
Clubs NSW Academy Games in Newcastle - 3rd-5th Apirl
Awards Night – Date TBC
The skill program is designed to provide players with increased skills and education to better prepare them for selection into Regional and NSW squads.
Athletes must have a golf handicap of 25 or under to gain selection. If your handicap is slight great, please contact NIAS. Golfers will also be assessed on their attitude and commitment to golf. Interviews may be required. Discussions with you local club may also be conducted in some cases. We encourage all athletes that fit within the age bracket to apply even if your handicap is outside the range. NIAS may look to invite Juniors throughout the region to a NIAS training session.
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
The program is developed in close consultation with the Jack Newton Junior Golf (JNJG). Skill sessions and camps are held within the region throughout the stated program duration. Specialist coaches and competing representing NIAS will be available to squad members. May - June athletes are required to attend the NIAS RACE program. This program covers education sessions on sport psychology, sports medicine, nutrition, public speaking, media training, sun protection and career skills. The Squad also competes in the Annual Clubs NSW Academy Games each April.
- Intensive training support by quality regional, guest and state level coaches.
- Life Skills Education Day
- Individual home training program and structured satellite training sessions where applicable.
- Sport Science fitness testing and support.
- 1 Ticket to annual awards night.
- Travel Assistance to attend NIAS regional training sessions and camps.
- Financial assistance if selected into state team.
- Attend all program activities.
- Golf is no 1 priority sport while on scholarship.
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development, both on and off the course.
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism.
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship.
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors.
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events.
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes.
- Adhere to NIAS anti-Doping policy.
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required.
Athlete levy: $190 GST inclusive. This levy covers training camps, coaching support, GROWTH day, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket)
Academy Games $250.00 GST inclusive
Sports Trip: $180 GST inclusive
Golf Clothing Pack: $250 GST inclusive (ordered from and paid to SportsPower Armidale, includes NIAS polo shirt, cap, tracksuit pants, hoodie and ankle socks). Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased from SportsPower Armidale.
Open Date: 26 August 2019
Close Date: 25 November 2019
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org